TheBanyanTree: Silly Questions

Mike Pingleton pingleto at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 20 20:35:59 PDT 2003

At 10:03 PM 10/20/03 -0500, you wrote:
>      Seems to me we did the "Favorite Book Thing" a couple years ago in the
>Tree, or maybe it was the Spoon. But it's always fun to revisit the topic. My
>vote goes to "Silverlock" by John Myers Myers.
>      (If anybody actually goes to the trouble to find a copy and read it,
>please let me know what you think.)

Ah, John!  I bought Silverlock over twenty five years ago.  However, I was a
coarse and ill-read youth back then, and so much went right over my empty
head.  But since, each time I read Silverlock it loosens a little bit more
magic on me, and this summer I strolled yet again down Watling Street with
Golias and Lucius G. Jones...This book was published in 1949, is very
difficult
to describe, but if you love literature, you would be well-advised to head
down
to the library and check out a copy.  And when you're finished, there's always
The Moon's Fire-Eating Daughter (the sequel).

As much as I like Silverlock, my vote for favorite book goes to Cormac
McCarthy's _All The Pretty Horses_.  McCarthy has been compared with Faulkner
and Melville; he has an immense cult-like following, and may be the most
important and influential American writer alive.  While you're in the stacks
tracking down Silverlock, look for ATPH as well.  I hope you are as astounded
by McCarthy as I was, and as I still am.  And the movie's not bad either :)

Mike