TheBanyanTree: Bureaucracy, Cabbages and Kings

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Oct 28 03:41:55 PST 2003

Monday October 27, 2003

BUREAUCRACY, CABBAGES AND KINGS

I ran out of excuses today so, suitably prompted, I presented myself, my
documents and a small fee to have my driving licence registered at our new
address. The process started when I was caught in a moment of weakness:

"What are you going to do today?" Graham asked, all innocence and wide eyes.

"Oh, I dunno. Not a lot. Read, probably."

He picked up the next length of planking in readiness to stick it in place
on the kitchen floor. "It's a nice bright day. Why don't you go over and
get that driving licence thingy done and dusted?"

I gulped, and searched without success through my box of excuses, reasons
and evasions. "I suppose I could."

"Go on, why don't you. Get it over and done with."

So, a picture of meekness itself, I pulled out the file I'd been trying to
lose under a pile of manuscripts and set to filling in the form -- 'Please
write plainly in black ink' -- and gathering the documents needed to prove
my identity. We're changing over to a new style of driving licence, you
see, with a photograph of the holder which has to be laminated onto a card
much the same size as a credit card, so when you record a change of address
you have to fulfil a new set of requirements.

First thing was a photo, duly inspected and certified as being a true
likeness by a responsible person who has known you for more than two years.
I left almost all such people back in Somerset so this was one of the
reasons for the long delay in getting the job done. It's one of those
official photo-booth identification photos of course, the ones that produce
a good likeness of someone you don't quite recognise as being yourself.

Next, my birth certificate. Not a copy, unless it's an official copy, but
the original document itself. This is a piece of parchment paper from the
1930s that, like me, is beginning to be a little tatty around the edges and
rather fragile on the folds. It has a couple of what look suspiciously like
liver spots, too, further reinforcing the similarity in a rather sinister,
Dorian Grey kind of fashion. Interestingly, it bears a penny stamp with the
head of King George VI, and that set me to thinking about the way things
used to be, how Kings and Queens come and go, and how we used to measure a
man's allotted span by the number of reigns through which he lived...

"Why have you stopped?" came a stern voice from the kitchen floor.

"Oh, sorry."

Then, they would have liked to have my passport but mine has lapsed and so
is disqualified. Funny that. You are supposed to provide a current passport
for a photo-identity driving licence but you need a photo-identity driving
licence to support your application for a new passport. I sniffed, sensing
something wrong there, something in the quantum department, requiring
explanation much as does the question of the precedence of chickens and eggs.

"You've stopped again!"

"Ooops!"

So, reading the small print and treading my way carefully around more
'ands' and 'ors' than are decent in any sentence, I discovered that they
would accept a recent bank statement as a substitute for the passport.  Off
I went to dig out the latest one. Looks quite good, actually. I'd have been
rather proud of it in the old days, noting the complete lack of red ink. Of
course, they're all printed in computer black now but you know what I mean.

"What is it this time?"

"Nothing. I've finished."

"Right. Off you go then."

"Okay. I shall come back bearing my new licence, or laminated upon it."

"Don't be clever. Just drive carefully."

And off I set into the morning sunshine, a neat file under my arm and all
my excuses left behind, quite worn out.

It wasn't so bad, really. The Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority is
housed in a monolithic building on the skyline over Swansea, rather
forbidding and Stalinist in style on the exterior but they've done all they
could to make the reception area modern and welcoming, and the lady who
went over my papers with me and checked that I'd filled out the form
correctly was as friendly and helpful as anyone could wish. I paid my four
pound fee, smiled, said a nice thank you, and walked back out into the
sunshine, job done. The new licence will be in the post in the next couple
of days, all safe and sound until the next time. They tell me that renewing
a new photo-card will be much more straight forward. That remains to be
seen. I suppose it's possible but experience doesn't encourage me to expect
anything in life to become more straight forward. Now, in the old King's day...

Lordy, but I dislike bureaucracy.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man