TheBanyanTree: The Wow Zone

Gloria gloriab at voyager.net
Sun Oct 5 17:54:20 PDT 2003

I swear I was in the twilight zone the other night...all night.  We got a furious snowstorm early in the evening, and then at about 8:30 my pc shut off abruptly along with the rest of the power in the house.  What?  No power?  Oh wait...there's a glow here.  Huh?  Half power?  Yep...all major appliances beeping and buzzing on and off, lights flickering as if they were candles.  Quickly I toured around to the electrical outlets and unplugged everything.  Nothing worse on appliances than half power,  or so they tell me.  I don't pretend to understand it.  Meanwhile my hubby Al was on a flashlight gathering mission, and mentally I was focusing on thoughts of candles....do I have any?   No need to wonder any longer, I was handed a flashlight.  Al went to bed then and I decided that it'd be a good time to start listening to the audio book I got from the library.  I wanted the book The Lovely Bones and all they had left was audio.  I laid (mistake) on the couch and started listening.  I listened to the first chapter.  Hopefully the only gruesome one, as I didn't enjoy it much.  I kept listening anyway.  In kind of a daze, I found myself waking up every now and again thinking that I'd only missed a couple of words.  Eventually the tape was silent, so I figured I must be through the first side.  I swear I flipped the tape over and then got up and went to bed....I learned tonight that I actually only listened to about 15 min of the tape and I didn't turn it over.  Don't know why it was silent.  Maybe I found it annoying and shut it off?

I did go to bed though and proceeded to toss and turn and toss and turn.  See, we left the bedroom light on so that when the power came back on, the brightness of it would wake us and we'd get up to plug in the freezer and refrigerator, turn on the furnace, etc.  The light came on so bright!  I opened my eyes and about a split second later all was dark again, except for the strobe light show going on outside.  An eerie electrical noise.... imagine.... a low-pitched ....woooow....woooow..... accompanied the light show.  I flew outta that bed and went to the window.  What the heck is going on???  STRANGEST thing I've ever seen.  Electrical lines arching everywhere....flashes of arch, darkness, arch, darkness....hitting and missing all over the place.  It was like the trees were having a party.  Then it stopped and everything went completely black.  There.  NOW we are out of power.  Well now I'm really wide awake, but not ready to listen to the book.  I decide I can go to sleep, just get back in bed.  Toss and turn some more.  By now it's 1:00 and I think I dozed off, but was startled awake by a bang! - huh???  The strobe light show began again and quit.  I gave up on sleep and came out to the living room to witness the next oddity.   Nothing by darkness.  Back to bed, awake at 4:00...both of us.  Isn't it weird when both parties wake up at exactly the same time and neither knows why?  I always think it is.  Back to sleep until Al's alarm went off.  I was SO tired.   I told him I was dreaming about white skinned snapping turtles.  I had climbed onto a picnic table to avoid one that was chasing me.  I reckon he was protecting the mother and baby that were nearby.  I went back to sleep and Al woke me a bit later.  I walked around like a zombie.  I think he understands now why I hit the snooze button a few times before I actually get up.  I'm a danger to myself if I don't get to do that.  I went from snapping turtles to 3 county dump trucks running into each other.  Slow motion...like big dinosaurs or elephants crashing about.  The next minute I'm walking around the house?  Not a good idea.  But dawn had arrived and the power was back on.   Lordy it was a weird night.

Glo