TheBanyanTree: Depression

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Oct 1 08:16:44 PDT 2003

Yesterday I was in a deep depression.  A dear friend and co-worker was
here to help with the mundane office chores (she volunteers..can you
believe it!) and I shared my sadness with her.  There really was no
reason for it.  I just felt depressed.  A good old case of feeling sorry
for myself.  It had been brewing for over a week but yesterday it came
on full-fledged.

She really couldn't do much to help but lend an ear and she offered me
a DVD (we both like the same literature and movies and are great fans of
PBS television).  It was "Mansfield House."  I watched it last night and
thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, she emailed me the following email today.  Once read, I
realized the 'beast' had left me and I felt free.  In answering her, I
realized why and how sometimes the simplest of things can make you smile
in your soul.  Her friendship is one, the others are listed in my reply
email.  Silly, but true!

****

Sharon:

Did you watch Mansfield Park last night?

This is a dreary day, but I hope that you are feeling better. Surely
chocolate is the answer. Forget about the diet.

Eileen

*******

Eileen,

Actually I am feeling better.  I got my lawn cut yesterday after work
and for some reason it pleases me well to look out and see the trim
lawn.  The dreariness of today doesn't bother me and yes, chocolate is
the answer and what diet???

Had to go into the attic and get doggie blankets.  I am hoping not to
use the heat until closer to November but I don't know if that is
possible.  The apartment is comfortable for Fru and me but the Pug is
chilly.  He is so cute.  He pulls his blanket to a spot on the sofa and
goes round and round and round until it is suitably fluffed and then
lays down and buries his little pug nose in the blanket.  Even in my bed
I have to bring his blanket and cover him.  I cover Fru, too, but he
soon discards the cover and lays on it instead.  He is very warm-blooded
and has a thick coat.

It's funny what cheers me.  The accountant came this morning to put the
finishing touches on the adjusting entries for our end-of-year annual
report.  She found I had made no errors.  Joy!  Also, the heat was
turned on here at the school.  It is warm and cozy and I am enjoying my
first 'hot' cup of coffee.  I love wrapping my chilled fingers around
the hot cup and allowing them to warm.

So this is my morning and as you can see the cloud has lifted at long
last and I am sighing in my relief.

Thank you for asking....Sharon