TheBanyanTree: In with the new

JMoney PJMoney at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 28 15:37:21 PST 2003

It's just after 7am and the sky is mottled grey.  Off to the north thunder
is grumbling intermittently from the trailing edge of the storm that passed
over us two hours ago.  There is still enough moisture in the air to give
the light that green cast that makes foliage glow.  The bright red fruits of
the Carpentaria palms stand out against their dark background like cascading
jewels.

Suddenly the clouds turn leaden and within a few seconds they open up.  Rain
comes crashing down onto our gutterless corrugated iron roof and streams off
in strings. It fills the world outside my window stealing all its colour and
form for a couple of minutes and then it's gone.  The sky is bleached again.
Steam rises.

It feels so good to be able to look out at the glistening fresh stillness of
trees and bushes, flowers and fruit, and just enjoy the view.  Assignments
are all handed in.  Exams are over.  My time is my own.  The things I have
to do are things I want to do.  The pressure is off.

This has been a year of remaking after the breaking.  I can see that so many
old things are thoroughly worn and useless.  Throwing them away has become
not only easy but also enjoyable for the sake of the hope of the
opportunities that not having them will afford.

To my right are two boxes full of books I will never read again.  The books
are going to the Op Shop.  The boxes will come home for refilling.  More
books and a small mountain of papers have gone into the rubbish bin.  Behind
me is a ceiling high, wall length bookcase that is two thirds dusted,
decobwebbed and rearranged.  Just looking at it makes me feel happy and keen
to complete the last third so that I can get on to tossing out the rest of
the worthless, burdensome detritus I've accumulated and get ready for
Christmas and a new year.

Janice