TheBanyanTree: Northern Lights

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 13:33:14 PST 2003

The lake froze over and I wasn't there.  It snowed last Saturday, just a
dusting; I wasn't there. I don't care for the cold, it brings aches to the hollows
of my bones. Yet, I miss watching the ice crystals form atop the lake water,
tiny arms reaching out and out; joing other tiny fingers, and in the morning,
there's an  icy sheen across from shore to shore.

In other days, the children would be looking for their skates and their
sleds. The older boys would be dragging the snowmobile out of the dusty corner of
the garage to see if it still runs.

We're weeks, months away from deep snow, and ice safe enough for skating. I
miss their enthusiasm. They're all working now, far away, with mortgages and
cares of their own and no time for dreams of hockey and speeding through the
snow with red, chilled cheeks.

I'm far away, myself. Too far to see the ice crystals form, to hear that
gentle crackle as the ice expands in the cold, to hear the children laugh as they
try to sled in the first snow.  I'm too far away from those days of play and
snow forts.

I no longer can take the cold, but I do miss those days and the crispness of
coming winter.

I pick a dry leaf off my house plant, and holding it close, pretend I can
smell the bare trees, the new snow, the leaf freezing in the ground's wetness.

I am not there.  I will never be there again.  I am too far away, in miles
and time.

NancyLee