TheBanyanTree: Northern Lights; It's obviously Monday morning

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 11:16:40 PST 2003

Yes, it is Monday morning.

I get up before dawn; the dogs need to go out and they're still on Daylight
Savings Time.  It's a good thing I sleep in something like a jogging suit (it
IS a jogging suit) so when I first go abroad in the wee hours, I look like I'm
out running my dogs.

Big dog runs ahead, tugging mightily. Little dog lags and lingers, 'marking'
every blade of grass. When little dog settles down to serious business, ( and
it takes him a moment to find the right leverage and the right footing in the
grass) big dog spots a leaf blowing in the predawn breeze and dashes in for
the kill. Little dog is rudely uprooted. He and I are both jerked off the
sidewalk until the leaf is good and dead and big dog stops to watch the paper car
putter by, slamming newspapers on each driveway.  No, big dog, you can't eat
everyone's paper. Put that down.  Oh well, they don't read the classifieds
anyway.

Little dog has scattered his little 'presents' all along the path, making
pick-up a bit like finding tiny shells on the beach. However, they don't crunch
when stepped on, but stick and stink to my shoes.  Oh, good, I have my tennies
on with the deep tread, which are now caulked with dog poop. I do the scrape
dance along sidewalk and grass, but still will have to scrub off the shoes and
dry them in the sun.

But, soon little dog's needs have been satisfied, big dog, the same.  I
gather up all the day's 'treasures' and follow my charges, little bag dangling.
And, we head back home to coffee or dog bisquit, according to our hungers. I am
running late, and have places to go and appointments to keep.

As I am walking up the driveway, untangling leashes from around my ankles and
each other, I spot my van parked there.  The back tire is flat.

It must be Monday.

NancyLee