TheBanyanTree: Looking Out My Back Door

Suzanne Stewart sstewart at sonic.net
Sun May 4 20:44:53 PDT 2003

I'm very sorry about Fred and Ethel, too. I was so fond of the story, a
year or more ago, about Fred and Ethel welcoming in the lost migrating
duck, that I wrote Theta not too long ago and asked her for it again. It's
a great story about domesticity and wildness and genetic programming. And
two wonderful personalities.

I have lived where we could hear hoarse, gutteral cries from the canyon and
hills in the night--mountain lion? bobcat? some mysterious Other? And there
were losses. Theta is right: it can be glorious and terrible at the same
time, when the wild is close by. I miss the depth of that experience (but
am so glad I had it).

Suzanne
(once resident in the California Sierra foothills)