TheBanyanTree: The Banyan Tree: An Act of God

Pam North gunnymom at ec.rr.com
Sun May 25 16:36:52 PDT 2003

When Todd moved out and took our Great Dane, the kids and I were 'left' with Hannah, our Bassett Hound.  Now, Hannah is not all that well disciplined... she'll come when you call her, but you gotta be patient while she sniffs out the perimeter!  She whines when one stops petting her and she has been known to chew when left unsupervised.

But!  The dog has ONE true mission in life, one redeeming quality...  If you're looking for something to hold and pet for HOURS, Hannah is your chick!!  She's incredibly adorable with her little midget paws and sad eyes - and she absolutely, positively can NOT get enough love!  In fact, since Todd pulled chocks, Hannah sleeps beside me every night and it's extremely comforting.  (*And* I can depend on her to stay there all night and not go out to meet up with her friends at the local stripper bar!!)

Anyway...  I *_REFUSED_* to get another dog.  One dog was enough responsibility for me.  At this point in my life, I'm looking to skim off all excess responsibility that I can, and bringing another dog home in place of Banks was not my idea of good thinking.

And then there was Holly.  She and I have  known each other for years, and she was telling me of her newest family addition, a little Beagle she found at the stables.  She boards two horses on base, and a few months back a little Beagle boy-puppy found her and followed her home.  She already has three dogs and wasn't really looking to keep him, but she wasn't going to leave him in the streets either.

She listed all his wonderful qualities, and told me that after countless choices, he finally 'answered' to "Buddy", and she thought he needed a great home with a couple of kids.

And I fell for it!!

Last Sunday, only SIX days ago, Molly and I stopped by her house to pick up Buddy and bring him home as a surprise to my son.  Hannah fell in love with Buddy (as did Charlie), and pretty soon they were chasing each other around the house having a grand time!

So far, so good....

Yesterday, Saturday, only FIVE days after we brought Buddy home, Molly went out walking with both dogs.  And she came home with the most amazing news!

Around the corner from us - less than a block away - a new family had moved in recently from Officer housing on base.  And the 'dad' recognized "Buddy" immediately from his walk!

Seems about three months ago they lost their dog when he climbed the fence and got out!  They put up a million signs in housing - but never thought to check the base paper or the base dog pound where Holly had advertised her find.  They figured he was stolen or killed.  And they had named him "Scooby".

He had been a birthday present for their son's 3rd birthday.

Well!

Of course we returned him to his rightful family.

But look at the facts...  lost in housing, found by Holly.  She gives him to us a week ago, and they just *happen* to move around the corner and see Molly walking him less than a week later............ hhmmmmm.....

Yep.

It was a sign from God that that little puppy needed to go home.  I love it!!

Meanwhile, Charlie was devastated so we called my sister who does animal rehab and rescue, and this morning we drove to meet her and adopt another little mutt-puppy that we've named Haley.

Guess who's responsible....??

:-)

Pam