TheBanyanTree: They go camping. I don't.

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon May 12 17:22:48 PDT 2003

May 12, 2000000003

Dear Happy Campers,

	I found this lurking in my big binder (mentioned the other
day).  The occasion was the first day in years that I was alone in my
own house.  I mean to say that every hour of every day, I am not
alone.  I am on Mom duty.   The times that David takes the kids
someplace for a couple hours, leaving me at home to hyperventilate as
I recover from "total immersion Mothering", are so far and few that I
am always unrested.  There is no rhythm of rest in my life, and it
takes its toll.  But the weekend in question, David drove off with
Meyshe and Feyna to go camping with the older half siblings, the two
boys I raised and who are off on their own, charging and cowering
before life's many mountains.  It is hard for me to believe that the
16 year old twins with their combination of astounding gifts and
calamitous impairments will ever be out there looking ahead for
themselves, hell, even just taking their own medication without me.

	I tell myself it will come.  That love, intelligence,
duration, stubbornness, awareness, and more love will save lives.
Mine and theirs.

Saturday, Shabbos, April 5, 2003

	Today, while trying to put myself through detox, I got a call
from the intoxicants.  Some ridiculous dispute was going on among the
jolly campers.  The four offspring of my fecund husband were spatting
over who got to do what.

	The Nygren elders were calling the Shapiro-Nygren youngers
such names as, "selfish".

	They were, when explanations were unravelled over the phone,
"selfish", because the youngers did not want to do what the olders
wanted to do, and also insolently insisted on voicing their younger
desires.

	Interesting definition of selfish.

	By the time the phone call was made, Feyna wanted to come
home, Meyshe was destabilized, and David was worried about the cost
of the pay phone (one of those rip-off captive audience jobs that
charges six hot chops a minute.   Further, according to Feyna, one of
the elders didn't want her to call me for advice, because I would
just, "be on Feyna's side."  Later, I discovered that the particular
elder who had uttered this was David, my husband.

	How very many people there are for me to raise!

	And while all these babies were squeezing their tears of
disappointment, loss and outrage, David was stuck trying to
accommodate everyone,  having not enough juice to flip the switch,
and not enough tools in his little tool chest.  Poor dear.  "Which
way should I bend?  Quick!  Promise everyone everything!!"

	The phone call was disturbing, and more or less a pain in the
tuchas, at least I got to talk to Feyna.  And when I hung up, and sat
back down, reclined slightly, like a Passover celebrant reminding
herself what freedom tastes like, I couldn't help but enjoy the image
of all that shit and drama hitting some distant, unseen fan, someone
else's fan for a change.

	"They'll probably live", I told myself, and rewound the movie
a bit, to make sure I hadn't missed one boring minute of it.

Love,

Tobie
at present, not reclining
--