TheBanyanTree: Whew! Yeehaw!

Sachet Sachet at iline.com
Sun May 4 12:07:42 PDT 2003

  A friend suggested I share this with the Tree. So, here ya go. :)

 **Warning** This is a loooooong ramble. I had to settle down and gather
my thoughts.

The other morning I woke up from a nightmare where Chelsea and I both took
the FCELPT (Florida College Entry-Level Placement Test) and failed, at
which point I was told I could never ever home educate again because I
was too inept. 'Twas a scary few moments there, until I woke up enough
to realize that we hadn't tested yet. It was still a few hours away.

I have SUCH test taking anxiety. Thankfully, neither child is affected
that way. I've tried very hard, over the years, to make it an easy
enjoyable time, with no pressure. Chelsea has a laid back, "que sera,
sera" level of self-confidence that I admire for the most part. There's
one little part of me that wishes she would not be quite so nonchalant
about it all and would slow down whilst taking a test. Zachary obsesses
to such a degree that he takes more time, but still doesn't see the need
to double-check answers. Ok, fine. They've been tested yearly & excelled
since 1st grade and I'm no longer going to lecture them about test
taking skills.

Chelsea is a sophomore now and we want her to participate in Dual
Enrollment at the local community college next year. For English Comp I
she'll receive one high school credit and 3 college credits. She'll
start with that one DE class in the fall and proceed on to English Comp
II in January and any other DE courses that she chooses that will
transfer over towards her 4 year degree. Some of our friends are having
their kids take all DE classes for their last two years of high school,
thereby acquiring their AA or AS degree. Other friends are not requiring
that their kids take any DE classes. We're in the middle, not wanting to
rush her through her high school years, but yet wanting her to get used
to the college atmosphere; so it doesn't hit her like a brick wall when
she leaves for her 4 year college away from home. Since she's only a
sophomore she's not due to take her PSAT until next October as a junior.
She can take the ACT and/or the SAT as a junior and/or as a senior. None
of which helps us currently with the requirement for college entrance of
submitting FCELPT, ACT, or SAT test scores. So I was very pleased during
all my research to find out that our Edison Community College offers the
FCELPT by appointment, for free. (ACT and SAT now charge fees. They sure
didn't when I was in high school.) I wasn't quite as pleased to discover
that since it's been so long since I was in college, that I would also
have to take the FCELPT, if I wanted to take any degree seeking courses
next year. Drat.  Remember my test taking anxiety? No kidding. I get so
uptight I can't think straight. Little mini-panic attacks. Oy.

Ok, so our appointment was at 11 a.m. We both take in two #2
pencils, all nice and sharp. After we sign in we are led into a huge
room full of computers and I am thinking we aren't going to have much
room to write, before it dawns on me that the tests are now given on
computers. Duh! Oh great. So now not only do I have my normal test
taking anxiety, I have been thrown a curve because I was expecting to
fill in the little circles with actual real paper to touch. Me, who
resists change to the max, is feeling quite ancient and out of touch at
this point. Why, I don't know exactly. I mean, geez, I know computers
backwards and forwards so why is this such a big deal to me???? So once
I talk myself (silently of course) past this unexpected twist, I sit
down, presenting a convincingly calm facade and start the test. The
instructor sez it usually takes an hour and 1/2. Ok, fine. I get done in
an hour and sit there a while trying to decide if I should wait for
Chelsea there so she doesn't feel rushed, or should I go to room 207 as
the screen instructs. I sit and twiddle my thumbs a bit and then decide
to go back and wait in room 207. Where I find my daughter, who tells me
she finished the test in 40 minutes and thought it was easy.

So we take our new instructions and hike on over three buildings to the
Advisor department to inquire about an appointment to go over our test
results. At which time my darling daughter tells me that while she was
waiting for me she asked several questions in the Assessment Center and
discovered that we should be able to get our results within the hour if
we know to ask this question. Which now we do thanks to her. We got our
results and all our paperwork organized within 15 minutes and we on our
way to celebrate. Yep, Celebrate! Chelsea, age 16, sophomore at the high
school level, homeschooled all her life is now eligible to take college
courses (next month even!) as she chooses to start working towards her 4
year degree! She scored so well!

It might sound like bragging. I _honestly_ don't mean it that way.
I have put myself through hell this year, questioning my capabilities,
second-guessing myself, time and time again. This has been my toughest
year by far in all our years of home schooling. Chelsea as a sophomore
and Zach doing freshman level work because he keeps zipping past things
his sister has done. All of a sudden I have so much to map out in regards to state
statutes, colleges, scholarships, testing, credits, dual enrollment,
course codes, etc. It has been mind boggling to work my way through the
vast array of information and misinformation. The majority of people
working at colleges do not know home school law and will tell me things
without knowing the pertinent Florida statutes. I've had to take a
deep breath and get past feeling totally out of my depth and immensely
intimidated by the Florida Statute website to research the home
education program in detail. I could then intelligently write the Home
School Legal Defense Association to confirm specifics.

I have to be knowledgeable, sound capable and very well informed or else I WILL be
patronized by those unfamiliar with any aspect of home education. The
advisor presenting our test scores was very complimentary and in no way
patronizing, and was in fact, very encouraging regarding home education.
Whereas, when I went to request a form we need for next fall, the
secretary at the desk was extremely patronizing once she found out that
we home educate. She started talking slower, even repeating herself
until I wanted to reach over and pinch her. I was flying so high from
our test scores that I let it slide, but I will be better prepared the
next time I have to deal with her. I think I'll prolly throw her a few
of the state statutes, like s. 1007.42 and ss. 1002.41-42; real fast
with words like "pursuant" and let her decide just how slow she needs to
talk to me.  :-P

I can NOT BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE how relieved I am to have made it past
this hurdle. I was dancing down the hallway as we left the college, much
to Chelsea's amused dismay. I could scream with relief and an amazed
sense of accomplishment for making it this far with all my doubts and
self-castigation over the years. I want to type up a letter and send it
to all of Jim's family who have raised their eye brows and made placating
remarks. But, I won't. Because we believed we were making the right
decision for our family, and didn't require the approval of every single
other family member, and my kids are maturing into people that I am
tremendously proud of in so many ways. And it feels fantastic to have
the irrefutable academic proof on hand. Plus, it gives me encouragement
that I can now survive all of this upcoming college related stuff with
Zach. <g>

...Sachet