TheBanyanTree: A moment of silence

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Sun Mar 23 23:44:01 PST 2003

Sunday March 23, 2003

A THANKFUL SILENCE

At intervals over the past few sunny days I've looked up into clear skies
to see, far overhead, B-52 bombers glittering like deadly, jewelled bees
ahead of the long streams of vapour they drag all the way to Iraq. The
probability is that they fly from a military base near Gloucester and. some
five or six hours later, arrive high over Baghdad to deliver their payload
before returning.

Early this morning, taking the air in the back garden, I once more watched
the warbirds flying. There is no sound from them; I suspect they seek high
altitude soon after landing, and it could be they are climbing still as
they pass through my field of view.

Far, far below them, at a height which, while still out of my reach is
rather more within my imaginings, a lark sang. He'll continue to sing most
of the day as the sky fills with the haze of the sun. As the evening light
fails he will sink slowly into a thankful silence and settle for the night
in some safe nesting place.

No matter how I may feel about the war, I can't help but hope the crews of
those B-52s will find as safe a resting place at the end of their long
flights and wish them a small moment of peace before they sleep, sharing in
that thankful silence.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man