Phar Lap Re[2]: TheBanyanTree: Canberra is Cool!! 24-6-03

Woofie woofie at woofess.com
Wed Jun 25 18:10:58 PDT 2003

Yeah...wot Janice sez:)
Phar Lap was and still is an icon of the lil Aussie Battler...he was
an ugly horse bought cheap by folks who were not rich or affluent..his
trainer was a lil dude called Tommy Woodcock...another lil battler
dude. When Phar Lap was entered in the Melbourne Cup hoss race, Tommy
rode him from Sydney ( I think) to melbourne...over 600 miles..to get
him fit for the race.

Another unique thing about him was the size of his heart, which is one
reason why it is in the museum over here..it was a massively big heart
(but healthy) which accounted for his incredible endurance and staying
power.

And yes..folks did openly cry when they heard about his death...i will
see iffen I can find some websites about him....
http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/pharlap/
http://www.secondrunning.com/Phar%20Lap.htm

W :)

--
Best regards,
 Woofie,                       mailto:woofie at woofess.com

"The one constant in life is absurdity" - Woofie - 30/4/02