TheBanyanTree: The Gift

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:12:35 PDT 2003

The Gift
by Sharon Atherholt Mack

God gave me a gift*a very special gift.  I see that now.

It was a Saturday and Paulie said he'd come help me in the yard.  My own sons had long ago moved on and the yard was a big one.

I was late, held over at the bank.  Paulie came like he said he would and left me a note, "I was here, where were you.  Call me at home.  Love, Paul."

Paul and my son grew up together.  I think they met in the third or fourth grade.  They were always together.  Both grew to be dark and handsome, tall and lanky.  They played baseball together.  They played on the football team together.  They both left the team.  Patrick for music, Paulie for heroin.

It started slow at first.  None of us knew what he was on, just that he was on.  We worried.  Pat and Paul parted ways.  They had new friends now.  Pat the band, and Paul*..?

They are both twenty-one now.  Pat is pursuing his music, has even started taking college classes.  He lives in Baltimore.

Paulie got out of jail.  He came to dinner with his Mom and we were so hopeful*.and he came on Saturday to help me in the yard.

It started out gloomy but as we worked the sun came out.  He did an excellent job and taught me how to start the weed-whacker.  We delivered lamps to another friend and vacuumed the dog hair carpet out of my car.  We put down new mats and we talked*.and talked*and laughed*and talked and then I took him home.  He said he would come back on Sunday to wash my car on the outside.  We had a stinky, sweaty hug and I kissed his young, handsome cheek.  I told him I loved him and to remember that, and he said, "Yeah, you and my Mom."  He smiled and said he'd see me tomorrow.

Paulie never came.  He lived for another week and then they found him dead in his bed.  He looked peaceful, like when he was a little boy.  His father told me so.

God had given me a gift*a very special gift.  It was a sunny, Saturday afternoon with Paulie.