TheBanyanTree: variolay!

Mike Pingleton pingleto at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 2 12:41:42 PDT 2003

After midnight and we finally retire, we and the fire both down to dull red
embers.  Tomorrow's paddle requires us to be at least somewhat rested.  We
squash the few mosquitos that we let inside the tent and then settle,
shifting a bit, trying to get comfortable.  The night draws in close around
us as we start to drift off.

Far away, up the valley towards the ridgelines, a barred owl starts in.
Silence and a few minutes later it is louder, and a second joins in, two owls
sharing the same space means rounds of who-cooks-for-you and
who-cooks-for-you-toos, even nearer now, now loud enough to be overhead, then
fading, fading down the valley as we fade off into sleep.

Fumbling with the tent zipper to step out into the cold night.  Some time has
passed, but dawn is no where near, only starlight as I stumble away to
relieve myself.  I'm not alone; somewhere close by a whippoorwill is cranking
out its three-note mantra.  A moth flutters against my face as I try to creep
back into the tent.  Trying to fall back into the void, over the whippoorwill
I hear a screech owl's gurgling scream, like a woman in terrible trouble.  I
think again about how the folks that settled this country believed in h'ants
and night sperrits, and I understand why they did.

Morning, then, early.  No sun here in the valley but the light is there, even
before I open my eyes.  The whippoorwill is long gone to bed, replaced by the
day watch.  Peterpeterpeter, sing the titmice.  Something else is doing a
little witchywitchywitchy song.  And the wood thrush is here, as it has been
every morning since I've been coming here - variolay!  it sings.  It is a
musical warble, unmatched in the midwestern bird world.  It makes me smile;
twenty five years of variolay! will do that to you.  What better way to wake
unto the world?

The world slowly disappears under the pavement, but there are still places
where you can open your eyes and smile at the morning's birdsong, joyous
music without a hint of traffic or trains.