TheBanyanTree: Sharing the Story

SarahAnne Hazlewood autruche_usa at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 08:50:02 PDT 2003

It is the practice in this tree to write for one
another.  This was written TO me, taking me to
an event I could not attend.  With the permission
of my dear friend, the author, I am sharing this
amazing story with you.  It is not my words, but
it is to you - from my heart.

-sash
**************************************
Sue's Passing -- Thursday July 17th

Last night at the magical firefly time Susan & I
went for a walk.  Get away. Fresh air.  Sunset.
We wound our way down Canterbury Lane into a
cul-de-sac where a mom was bringing home pizza
to her kids, past house after identical house
until we came to a street that was different.

Wide open fields and two story houses, a new
school, a party on the deck, a welcome banner
of indigo and yellow.  We wound and wound past
a wilderness.  We kept going the same
direction thinking we were walking in
a loop - we saw a cotton tailed bunny who
led us then turned back.

Fireflies danced all around.

We talked of our sorrow and joy and said prayers
of letting go.  The conversation flowed and
ebbed and we were comfortable in our silence.
We came to a busy street and it was not the path
we thought we were walking and so we turned back
to recreate the path we had walked.  I saw the
first star of the evening and made a wish for
Sue.  Susan saw it too and I heard her mutter
a prayer.  Hand in hand we laughingly turned
around and began the journey back home.

The same bunny greeted us in the same place and
this time led us toward the path we were on.  I
thought it was Sue telling us it was time to
get home.

And a firefly landed on Susan's thumb and stayed
with her for half the journey.

As we wound our way back we leaned into the
comfort of the air and the possibilities.
Lightning loomed, a couple passed by with
umbrellas, a storm was ahead.  When we reached
the house it was tranquil.  Susan went to give
the medicine, Julie and Kate sat in the studio.
And I reached for the phone for one final task.
As I walked down the hall I heard a hoarse
whisper - get in here.

I entered the room to see Kate on one side and
Susan on the other.  Sue's eyes were opened.
Julie flew into the room and our instructions
were "don't say a word".  Sue looked around as
if acknowledging our presence.  Her eyes were
clear and there was a look of awe.  It was as if
she was able to see all the color in the universe.
She arched up for just a moment and sighed and
rested.  Her eyes were still open in wonderment.
She looked so transfixed and peaceful.  A gasp,
a rattle, her little chest rose up and like a
rushing wind her spirit left her body.

It takes a while for the breath to leave, for
the heart to give in.   I had such recognition
when her body was just a shell.  Ru-ach, Holy
Spirit, our eternal presence she let go.  She
did not linger with us.  She was ready.  Susan
whispered and comforted her.  Kate cried into
the arms of relief.  Wonderment.  Spectacular
grace.  Brilliant passage.

I got to be the one to pray over her body.  And
my prayer - receive the spirit of this most
amazing woman.  A woman who stood up for herself
and her beliefs.  I thanked God for the gifts
she gave the world - her precious daughters.
I asked that Sue paint us beautiful pictures
of sunsets and Queens Anne's lace hovering in
fields, and water lilies

Unto You I commend this spirit - receive your
child Sue and send her back soon.  Amen