TheBanyanTree: Harboring . . .

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sun Jul 6 12:30:31 PDT 2003

Sometimes the Amazing Honey Bear, Wonder Dog of Washington State and parts
west, visits her father in his apartment. Gives her mother, the beleaguered
and perpetually tired, a chance to sleep in now and then, or entertain
infrequent guests without the Amazing Wonder Dog nipping at their ankles.

Her mother, renter of the apartment where the Amazing Wonder Dog officially
resides, paid a substantial pet deposit for the privilege of retaining the
Wonder Dog (her title just keeps getting shorter, doesn’t it?) and abides by
the rules stated in the lease. Nowhere in the lease does it state that the
Wonder Dog cannot visit other apartments in the complex from time to time.

The Wonder Dog’s father found a note on his door today, saying that if he
were harboring a dog, he must pay a pet deposit. Has the Wonder Dog been
spotted entering and exiting his apartment? More importantly, the word
“harboring” conjures images of us hiding wanted criminals (as opposed to
those criminals who are running around loose but not wanted) in our
apartment(s), aiding and abetting, as it were, as if the Wonder Dog must go
about with sunglasses and a big floppy hat in case she were spotted, her
face recognizable as the same face seen on wanted posters in post offices
around the country.

Harboring a dog. What sort of society has come to this? Of course I realize
that harbor can mean only to give shelter, but all the same . . . I feel as
if the Wonder Dog has been keeping parts of her life secret from us, as if I
should be asking more questions about what she does with her time, who her
friends are . . . where is she in the middle of the night when I’m asleep?

Batman