TheBanyanTree: What's Up?

LaRose Karr rosiebay at kci.net
Wed Jul 2 09:02:57 PDT 2003

What's Up?

Something unusual is happening around my home.  Food is lasting longer.
Food is spoiling before we have a chance to eat it.

I have been a mom for twenty-seven years with many little hungry mouths to
feed.  Now that two of my adult children are out in the world, of course,
the food consumption would decrease.  But truthfully it was still a heavy
load on the grocery budget till recently.  We have a fifteen year old boy
and a soon to be eighteen year old daughter still at home.

Not to mention that my husband and I both have healthy appetites.  What
then, could cause this anomaly of our eating patterns?

I think teens are every bit as picky as toddlers!  Why I do not know and
cannot reason out in my mind.  They love one food and suddenly without
warning will no longer eat the same things any more.  And, with all
sincerity and seriousness proclaim, "You know I don't like that!"

Or "Yuk! I don't eat that!"

How's a mother to cope?  How can you determine what they eat and don't eat
when the likes and dislikes change so frequently, if not, hourly?

About the only item of which we never grow tired is ice cream.  Recently my
daughter entered the room where I was sitting and asked, "Can we get ice
cream?"  I said, "Sure."  Choking back surprise that mom had responded in a
positive way in such a prompt manner she asked, "Now?"

"Sure," I replied.

So I enjoyed a drive to the local Dairy Queen with my daughter at the wheel.

Gone are the days when we scrounged to get enough food to feed our young
ones.  No more cooking big pots of soup (Yuk, you know I don't eat that!) or
large casseroles.  I don't have a visual of myself as the mama bird carrying
the worm in my mouth to the awaiting little birdies that so patiently sit
for waiting for mommy.

While I still cook full meals, we also tend to eat a lot of Frito chili
pies, pizza, macaroni and cheese, sub sandwiches, French fries and whatever
else trips their triggers. The battle with a toddler is to eat nutritionally
and obey mom in the process.  The battle with a teen is to get them to eat
and not grouse.

My how the years have changed but mother’s prayer is the same.  Thank you
Lord for their presence and blessing in my life.

© LaRose Karr