TheBanyanTree: linguistic paradox (of omniscience)

Theta Brentnall theta at garlic.com
Fri Dec 19 19:09:57 PST 2003

Janice wrote about linguistic paradoxes (paradoxi??),  so when I read the
following, I thought I would share it with all of us verbal philosophers in
the tree:

Coyotus Interruptus: A momentary suspension of the law of gravity, usually
accompanied by the sudden realization of impending gravitational
acceleration. The term is derived from the name of its discoverer, Wile E.
Coyote (Carnivorous vulgaris), who often observed the phenomenon when, in
pursuit of Road Runner (Accelerati incredibilis), he was propelled at high
velocity from a precipice of sedimentary rock by an apparatus of his own
contrivance or by a commercial product, such as Fleet-Foot Jet-Propelled
Tennis Shoes (ACME, Inc).

-- One of the 10 winning entries in New Scientist's neologism contest.

That's at least as profound as Barrows' expoundings.

Theta