TheBanyanTree: LOST: CHRISTMAS INSPIRATION

WolfSinger wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 11 07:41:44 PST 2003

On 11 Dec 2003 , Sharon Mack made this statement:

> Anyone can write about Christmas.  It's just not that hard.  There is
> material and inspiration all over the place.  Parties and plans galore,
> in homes and at the office.  Santas all over the place (...)

> I look around my office and see Christmas cards hung on the bulletin
> board with care, the small tree with just the right potpourri smelling
> of pine in the bottom of the stand.  A beautiful red silk rose topping
> off the branches covered with plastic white poinsettias and gold and red
> trinkets covering its boughs. Christmas carols blast through my computer
> speakers with carols from the Internet.  It's a traditional Christmas
> carol station, Internet only. You can't get this on your everyday
> radio*oh, no!  Bing Crosby is singing "White Christmas" to me as I type.
>  Even the Christmas cactus is blooming.  Now how could I not be
> inspired, I ask you.
>
> And so I bring my plight to you.  Please, please, please tell me what I
> am doing wrong.  Tell me how to get past this block.

Christmas inspiration is not in the Christmas trash that litters our
lives from September til January.  Christmas inspiration is in the
small child who shares his sandwich with the dog.  It's in the
firefigher or civilian who rushes into a flaming building to try and
save just one more life.  It's the fisherman who catches the huge old
fish, and gently puts him back into the stream.  The hunter who watches
the magnificent buck walk right under his nose and tucks his gun,
barrel down, under his arm.

Christmas inspiration is the mother who laughs when her small child
knocks the flour into the floor while making Christmas cookies
together, and then lets him 'help' clean it up.  It's the cold, wet
dog, who waits patiently for you to wipe the snow off her paws before
running onto the living room carpet.  It's the neighbor who give you
her phone number, because you've hurt your back and might need help in
the middle of the night.  It's the child who shares half of his cookie
with his brother, because the dog stole his brother's cookie out of his
hand.

Christmas inspiration comes from all those small goodnesses that occur
everyday of the year.  They're still happening.  Watch for them, and
there you'll find your muse.

Wolfie
wolfljsh at insightbb.com
http://home.insightbb.com/~wolfljsh/index.html