TheBanyanTree: The Schizophrenia Diaries

alf at io.com alf at io.com
Mon Dec 8 12:29:02 PST 2003

As you know - my daughter Lisa is a Paranoid Schizophrenic (since 1992 - age 26)
My life ended then - lost in the unspeakable pain of such heartbreak. I
lost my daughter to the strangers in her mind. My grand daughter lost her
mother. Lisa lost her way. Over shadowed by this devastating devil.

There have been short periods of rationality when she was on her meds. Then
she quit taking them. Then hell returned.

Today, Lisa is back on her meds and doing well.
For now, there is an occassional glimpse of the daughter I once had.
Our new reality offers the daughter I have now in exchange - and I thank God.

We continue to live - as we have for the past 13 years - one day at a time.

my candle burns for you both.
you are not alone either :)
alice

At   8:29 PM 12/01/3 -0800, Monique Young wrote:>December 1, 2003

>It's difficult for me to imagine what it must be like, to hear voices where
>there aren't any, to see things that aren't there, to wake up, like he did
>this afternoon, not knowing who he was or where he was.
>
>He went to the store, and while there the voices began again, just behind
>him, saying his name. He fears he's losing his mind, and he wanted to just
>stay right there and collapse into himself. The voices follow him. He drove
>back from the store in the dark, and he doesn't deal well with the dark
>anymore. He can't see well in the dark, the shadows are worse in the dark.
>He's afraid he'll lose his license, and I tell him not to worry, that he
>won't have to drive at night anymore, if he needs to go anywhere when it's
>dark I'll take him, I'll be here, that he won't have to drive at night
>anymore.
>
>I tell him it'll be okay, though I have no evidence to support that. He
>doesn't want to lose what mobility he has. He doesn't want to lose his mind.
>He doesn't want to lose the somewhat tenuous hold on reality he can still
>claim. I don't want him to lose any of that either.
>
>Sometimes he doesn't remember things that just happened. Sometimes he
>doesn't remember when he's had a really bad episode. He's always surprised
>when I tell him about it later. I don't tell him with the intention of
>letting him know, I don't realize he doesn't remember. But he often forgets,
>or it has passed out of his mind, or it's one of those things that he can't
>afford to hold onto, though he's glad when I tell him. The experience
>itself, perhaps, is something he cannot keep with him.
>
>I can't imagine what it must be like to hear voices when none exist. And
>still he retains his sense of humor. We were walking Dog earlier this
>evening, before he went home, and I was behind him and chattering about
>something, who knows what, and he said, "I'm hearing those voices again,"
>and I said, "Hey, that's me! You're supposed to be hearing that!" and he
>laughed.
>
>When I tell him I don't hear voices so I can't imagine what it's like he
>tells me that I hear voices also, but I just ignore them like I ignore
>everyone else. And he laughs.
>
>We make morbid jokes about insanity and schizophrenia and BPD. Anyone
>listening to us might think we were insensitive and cruel if they did not
>know that he suffers from schizophrenia and BPD himself. We can joke and
>talk like that because he does have it, and it helps to keep the horror at
>bay. Making fun of the big bad monster makes the big bad monster somewhat
>benign, or at least not as malevolent, not as scary. But it is scary, it is
>malevolent, it is spiteful and mean and unpredictable.
>
>We take it one day at a time. The meds help, but they don't eliminate it. He
>has gotten worse; better in some aspects, less prone to psychotic episodes,
>but still, it seems the shadows and the voices are worse, the distractions,
> [...]

	    ~*~
 	~*~alf~*~
~*~@io.com~*~

"I once tried to save a cat whom the dogs had chased up a tree.
Some of us simply prefer our own hell over someone else's good intentions.
I still have the scars to prove it."
                                                                         alice