TheBanyanTree: Christmas Eve

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 24 04:48:44 PST 2003

Christmas isn’t a season.  It’s a feeling.
--Eleanor Ferber

Dogs, like children, don’t understand “sleeping in.”  CoCo didn’t know or
care that I wasn’t going to work today and began barking at 3:30 am to go
outside.  I buried myself under the blankets and tried to ignore him, but he
kept barking just outside our bedroom door.  How can I sleep with that
racket going on?

I got up and let him out, and then I let Saydi out.  I turned off the lights
and went back upstairs to bed.  An hour later, it was bark, bark, bark by
both of them.  We get the Minneapolis paper and the St. Paul newspaper, so
it was probably the paper people leaving the papers on our doorstep.

Again, I tried burrowing deep under the covers, but the barking continued.
How can I dream about Christmas with all that noise going on?

Without looking out the window, I’m sure Saydi was barking at our
neighborhood deer cruising through the backyard looking for snacks from the
bird feeders.  Saydi goes wild when she sees them.

And the barking could be for something else.  The excessive barking probably
meant their schedule was messed up.  I got up and just let them outside and
went back to bed and that freaked the dogs out.  Usually I get up, let them
outside, fill their water dishes, and put fresh food in their food dishes.
I feed the cats.  I get the coffee started.  I go outside and get the
papers.

When I couldn’t take the barking anymore and couldn’t find where I left off
in my dreams, I got up, and let them outside once again, and this time did
my usual routine.  The dogs relaxed.  I relaxed.

The next time I want to hear them bark is when Santa comes to our house . .
.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the
idle seashore of the mind.

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow