TheBanyanTree: THE LAST ROSE

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Dec 10 04:46:34 PST 2003

When I came into work this morning, this was the first email I opened.
It is from my cousin Zoe, whom I have not seen for over 35 years.  We
lost touch when I was 10 or 11 and I found her when I found my half
brother last Christmas.  We have been corresponding via email and talk
on the phone.  She is in Michigan and I am in Massachusetts.  Her
husband is very ill. We are hoping that we will reunite in person soon.
This story was such a blessing to me, I'd like to share it with my
friends on the "tree."

THE LAST ROSE

The forest was deep with snow, I was glad I had come here, I felt
trapped like a rabbit in my own home. The freedom that I had
previously
felt was absorbed by illness, and my beautiful home had become a cage
of
care giving and watchful care of my ill husband.

 The forest with its white cape of frosted trees called to me as I
went
deeper into its arms of care. I sat on an empty stump of a maple tree
that once sheltered the forest floor and gave refuge to birds of all
kinds. I cried irrevocably and was relieved of all the tension.

 As I wiped my tears I saw a single rose left for me, just for me. It
was
a wild rose, pinking around its edges. Do I dare reach in and pick it?
This small trophy left for me?......its thorny tangle would make it
difficult to pick.

 Somehow this had symbolism of my own life.  I like the rose still
have
youth around the edges of my very essence. I still had dreams and
goals
ahead of me but the thorns of another's life have entangled my own.

 I too can weather this storm, like the wild rose and make my gift the
last rose with the aroma of love and gentle prudence.  I will triumph
and make this experience and journey with golden footsteps to love and
cherish one who has given so much to me.

 My strength is back, my feet run towards the clearing, and my two
best
friends followed wagging their tails, for they, too, have been under a
great strain.  We gathered snow around our feet and watched the snow
follow us home.

This short story is dedicated to my whimsical cousin who loves to
write
too!