TheBanyanTree: Frustrations and Aggravations

Jena Norton eudora at inreach.com
Sun Dec 7 12:38:10 PST 2003

I got up early this morning with a mental list of things I wanted to get
done. There were the usual items like laundry and changing the beds. The
others were to haul out the Christmas decorations and get started on
transforming the place into a holiday wonderland of lights and decorations.

I cruised through the regular chores and got myself ready to do some
heavy-duty decorating. I grabbed my industrial strength hand trucks and set
out to unload the storage room. After the third trip, I was beginning to
wonder what all I had in those storage tubs and boxes. I don't remember
having this much! And I haven't been to any after-Christmas sales in a
couple of years at least.

All day today it's been cloudy with a few sprinkles now and then. I figured
the sensible thing to do was put up the outside decorations before the rains
come. So, I found my stapler, got my work gloves on (why do I ALWAYS have
projects like this the day after I have my nails done????), and toted the
ladder out to the driveway. I perused the assortment of lights from past
sales and chose this year's illuminations.

First choice was a multicolor net that I threw over the leafless tulip tree,
thinking it would look very Christmasy but minimalist. Next I wrapped the
split rail fence with garland, put red bows on the posts, and tacked lights
along the top. I used white pearl lights so as not to detract from the other
lights. Wouldn't want to be gaudy, now would we?

The next lights were strung across the front of the garage to the front
walkway, down the side and then over the front of the house. I now have 280
multicolor lights with 8 possibilities for blinking, winking and chasing. I
was so pleased with myself that I didn't fall off the ladder or staple a
finger while putting the lights up. Completing a project involving tools and
ladders with no injuries is a biggy in my life.

I noticed I had these four boxes of 10" lighted balls that you can hang up.
Just the thing for down the side of the walkway to the front door and in
front! I could have done all eight of them, but decided six was understated
elegance. I'm not sure how I'll connect them in with the rest of the lights,
but I'm sure there's a way.

At this point, I discovered a very upsetting thing: the GFI keeps popping
out and won't reset. That means that none of the outside plugs work, no do
the plugs in the bathroom where I plug in my curling iron and blow dryer. So
I have all these lights strung that won't come on. I'm sure the neighbors
are wondering why I did all that work and don't turn them on.

The electrician will be out Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully the lights will
go on by Tuesday night.

Now all I have to do is put the straw deer and the lighted Santa with the
waving hand out and I'll be done.

Jena, Full Moon Warrior Princess