TheBanyanTree: vatta

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Dec 4 07:14:54 PST 2003

It's the dry season.  The vatta season, in Aureveda.  Time for coconut oil
or olive oil or almond oil scented with pine, rubbed into hair and hands
and feet that crunch through crackling leaves and dried twigs gathered to
start fires in the woodstove.  Wool sweaters pulled over electrically
charged hair that clings and pops.  Sparky, shocking, season intent on
drying me to white bones starting at the lips which peel and peel-- ten,
twelve layers a day peeled off like dried glue until new, soft, tender,
pink.  I can honestly tell you, love, these lips have never kissed
another.  Not these, they are brand new as of today.  New and soft and
tender and begging you with this moist, monsoon of mouth, to scratch my
back.

Julie