TheBanyanTree: Continuing adjustment

JMoney PJMoney at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 29 02:00:59 PDT 2003

The boy has a room on the water with a double bed, ensuite and views of
Sydney Harbour.  As far as I know he's paying no more for this luxury than
he paid at Creswell for his single room with bathroom down the hall.

The reason he has his new accommodation is that there is really nowhere else
to put him.  His mates have all gone to their new posts but the dentists
said he couldn't be classified as fit for active service until all his
wisdom teeth were removed.  So he's recovering from that in his very
pleasant quarters and in a week or so will be sent to the Solomons and an
extended period of shipboard life where his personal space is sure to be
considerably smaller but at least the weather is warm.

I'm not particularly scared that anything bad will happen to him.  The
peace-keeping operation seems to be going along as peacefully as any mother
could wish.  But it's so far away.  And it will be for such a long time.
And there's no surety even that he can come home for Christmas.

Basically, this arrangement is not to my liking.  I would have liked him to
be posted to a patrol boat based here.  That would have been very nice for
me.  He could have come home for dinner every so often.  But the Navy has
other priorities and, quite naturally, my son does too.

Janice