TheBanyanTree: hoDOWN!!

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 12:27:56 PDT 2003

Man, did we have fun!  We missed you all, we really did, and in your
honor we pulled our selves up by the boot straps and got down to the
serious business of fun and mirth.  Double helpings of mirth and
merriment, in fact!

I had never met Rob McMonigal before (and hope I have spelled his name
correctly lest I not get my interview!)  but I think we've bonded in
that odd 'spent the weekend at the farm and now we're buds' kinda way.
He so cooly and with great understated flair came back with a boquet for
me from the field of wild flowers down the hill.  They now, along with a
larger one I greedily picked for myself, reside on my wall as I come
down the stairs.  The flowers from the first trip to the farm are now in
the office with me, like a friendly cat curled up to be near me.  It was
time to get a little bit of the farm nearer to me during computer time.

In a way it was ok to be a small group because I was able to get to know
Mike Pingleton a little better; I last saw him at Paul's emu ranch in
Texas.  We had a rockin' good time 'round the campfire Saturday night.
It's one thing to enjoy Mike's wit and quick mind here in the Tree but
in person it is rapid fire and sharp!  Why, I nevah.....  He is so down
to earth and as compelling in person as on.....computer.

Our hosts, Sheri and Gary just outdid themsleves, as usual!  We had the
ever-popular hay ride, complete with the smell of money hanging low and
heavy in the air...for those not in the know, that's the smell of pig
poop.  See, In Iowa, pig poop means big money although I suspect cow
poop is the bigger money in PA.  But thankfully, the ladies on this farm
keep their scent to themselves (from my perspective on the hill!) and
the famers spread pig poopies around to fertilize.  By the way, the
ladies are as cute as ever, for those who have visited them before, and
the babies were so adorable.  Lots of pics of them giving cow kisses
were taken.  If you're ever going through PA, and I mean anywhere in PA,
be sure and call Sheri and ask her to whip up some mac-n-cheese for your
supper and you will be singing a happy tune all the way home!  They also
gave us all a huge bag of sweet corn to take home, fresh off the stalk.
Ah jest cahn't describe it evah so perfectly........

And my darling Carla, making big plans for months on end to travel with
Randy and I to the hoedowns, what would I do without her?  She makes me
see things differently and then is right there to agree with me when I
need it.  Everytime I am with her I hate even more for her to go
home...which is why I love her idea of a vacation!  She is now, as we
speak, with dear Pam who could not make it to the farm (we missed you!)
but will come back this weekend to go to Allen's marching band game.
You know, the one where there are three moments of time
blahblahblahblahblah YEAH, THE BAND IS FINALLY PLAYING!
blahblahblahblahblah????  Yeah, that one!  Go, marching band!  Depending
on how long she stays in NC she may actually come and visit again
(IhopeIhopeIhope!!!) before finally making her way back to FL.  Carla,
by the way, is the bestest house guest you ever had.

I invited a few folks this year.  Did Sheri mind?  Nope!  That's what I
love about her!  I brought my friend April, youngest friend I have,
possibly the most mature among the lot, and she had a blast.  I also
invited two folks fron NYC that I met on a cruise in January.  Yep,
that's what I did.  I called them out of the blue and asked them to meet
us in PA, some five hours away that they managed to make seven hours
away (did they come to PA by way of Maine?).  They did it, they came.
The crowd had that magic thing going on, everyone made friends instantly
and had a great weekend!

Of course, the star of the show was precious Doodle Bug, Bug for short.
She is everything Sheri has described and so much more.  Mom Jaime and
dad Darre--(is L, I think, N-Darren-cooked the chicken...I think)
anywho, husband of Jaime was there as well and is quite a charmer.  They
seem to be the sweetest young family........

Gang, what can I say?  I am so very bummed that I missed going to
Julie's house last year, this year affirming what I already
know.......it is worth whatever sacrifice a person makes to go and meet
the folks for a weekend.  I couldn't do it last year, and maybe you
weren't able to go this year, but try for next year.  Where will we
be????  I don't know, maybe the farm or maybe someone else will want to
host a gathering.  I *do* know this, however.  I will try even harder
not to miss anymore of these wonderful, wonderful events.  I hope you
can do the same.

Maria