TheBanyanTree: Speaking of tomatoes...

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Aug 27 07:08:00 PDT 2003

You all got me goin' on this tomato thing.  I, too, grow an abundant
amount of (cherry) tomatos.  Mine are in baskets along the clothes line
because of the possiblility of PCB contamination.  I also grow fresh
basil and parsley in this manner and this year they have gone crazy.
Can't WAIT to try Laura's pie for my next dinner club meeting.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share something I found on the internet for
this fall when you have all those "not-yet-ripe" tomatoes and the first
frost is eminent.  This is to "die for" pie!  My family went nuts!

I, too, apologise if I am stepping on anyone's copyright "toes."

GREEN TOMATO PIE
(got this over the internet)

Wow!  Something to do with green tomatoes besides fry them! Try this
recipe on anyone you know who loves fruit pies, and don't tell them at
first what's in it. They'll love the pie--and be astonished to learn
that the primary ingredient is tomato. Serves 8.

Unbaked pastry for 9-inch 2-crust pie
1-1/4 lb. green tomatoes (about 5)
3/4 cup raisins
1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. fine breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash tomatoes; cut in quarters and slice
very thin. Put into a 3-qt bowl; stir in raisins, lemon rind, lemon
juice, vinegar, and salt.

Blend sugar with flour and spices. Line pie pan with pastry; sprinkle
evenly with breadcrumbs. Add 2 tbsp. of sugar mixture. Add remaining
sugar mixture to tomato mixture.

Turn tomato mixture into pie pan, spreading evenly. Dot with butter.
Moisten rim of pastry and lay on top crust. Press gently all around to
seal. Trim and crimp edges. Bake 15 minutes; reduce heat to 325 degrees
and bake 50 minutes longer. Cool on rack 2-3 hours before serving.