TheBanyanTree: Stories

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 17:22:35 PDT 2003

There is a website where people post ads. Help wanted, apartments for rent,
personals. I have placed ads on this site, with results that are at least
entertaining. At the very least. I have met some cool people through this
site. I have met others who are not so cool, but that is a part of life.

And last night, in a fit of, of what? Certainly not of boredom. Of ennui?
Certainly not, since that means the same as boredom. In a fit of, certainly
not desperation . . . perhaps just in a spirit of experimentation? I posted
another ad. In the women seeking men section, which seemed a bit apropos.
All I asked for was stories. Not for anyone to respond as one would respond
to a personals ad, but only to send stories, and I would reply with one.
Clean stories only; some people must have this spelled out to them.

And the stories came in. Over and over again. Stories from men, some of whom
are not experienced in story telling, but each story just as compelling
despite the differing skill levels. Very short one sentence stories as well
as lengthy involved stories. Many of them giving a glimpse of the writer’s
psyche, some of them not. But compelling, all the same. Stories. From an
unknown, diverse population who saw the ad and felt like responding.

I have been happily surprised at the depth and originality of the stories
sent to me, pleased at the wonder that some participants feel at being asked
to do nothing more complex than send a story. I don’t wish to know their
financial status, their goals in life, what they look like. All I wanted was
a story, and they are grateful for the chance to respond without having to
sell themselves, without having to do anything other than tell a story, fact
or fiction (for it doesn’t matter to me), to respond to a stranger with what
may be a piece of themselves.

I think many of us look for that connection, that opportunity to share
something of ourselves, and our society makes it so difficult to connect. “A
story!” some might scoff, “what do you know about telling stories! You’re no
writer!” But everyone has a story, and the telling of our stories lets
others know who we are. It doesn’t matter if they’re fact or fiction. They’
re stories. Simple stories. And sometimes, that’s all we need.

Batman