TheBanyanTree: I'm living with a drip

WolfSinger wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Tue Aug 19 22:02:58 PDT 2003

The faucet (you non-Mercans call 'em "taps", I think) in the master
bathroom started dripping a few months ago.  No problem, replace the
washers and all will be well.  Yeah.  That worked with the kitchen
faucet - after I replaced the washers three times and finally realized
I was getting the wrong brand of washers.  I AM my father's daughter.

This time I was prepared.  I had the tools, I had the washers, I had an
old towel for when I forgot to turn the water off before taking off the
handle.  (Didn't happen this time, but I was prepared!)  The handle
came off easily, but I couldn't get the next little bit to unscrew.  So
I got a pair of pliers.  That didn't do anything but scrape off some of
the chrome and put the plate glass mirror in extreme danger.  Off to
Lowe's for a strap wrench.  Nope, that didn't work either.  That darn
cap wouldn't unscrew, but the whole faucet went all katty-whompus on me
from the force, so I quit.  It wasn't dripping *that* much.

Well.  It finally gave up dripping two days ago in favor of a nice full
stream of water.  No way to get it to shut off at all.  I shut the
water off at the cut-off under the sink, which is an annoyance, because
now we have to go to the boy's bathroom in the hall to brush our teeth.
 Because I don't like leaving my toothbrush in that bathroom - you
never know what's going to be where in there - I decided to have a go
at the faucet again.

I got all the stuff together and started off.  Handle off, no problem.
Cap unscrewed.... not.  Vice grips, by golly, that'll get it!  Not.
Finally, after an hour of intense struggle with this darned thing, and
slivers of chrome and brass littering the countertop and sink, I hear
"CLANG!" under the sink.  One of the two washers that hold the faucet
to the sink was now on the floor of the cabinet.  More struggling.
"CLANG!"  Now both washers were on the floor of the cabinet and the
faucet was just barely hanging on.  So I gave in to the inevitable, and
just took the whole darn thing off.  Here is where I should have had my
towel ready, and didn't.  Yes, I had the water shut off, but when you
undo the feed tubes from the valves up to the sink, the water in them
has to go somewhere.  Quite a bit of it ended up in the cabinet before
I could get a towel out and put it under the dripping pipes.  <sigh>

I figured if I wrapped the faucet in a cloth, put it in a vice, and
used the vice grips where I didn't have to worry about pranging the
mirror, I'd get that rotten thing unscrewed.  It just wasn't gonna
happen.  Everything came off the faucet except the bit that was
supposed to.

So now, I have to get a replacement.  In the mean time, my bathroom
sink has no water supply, and three big holes where the faucet should
be, which open into the cabinet below.  When I warned the hubby that
the faucet was gone, and I was in *no* mood to replace it right that
minute, he replied that he didn't mind waiting a few days and brushing
his teeth in the hall bath.  Then he said, "I'll just have to remember
not to go in there and dump out my water glass in the sink!"

<blink, blink>

I stood quiet for a moment, waiting for that to make sense.  It didn't.
 So I asked him, "Why?"

He intelligently replied, "Huh?"

I said, "The *faucet* is gone, so you can't get water *out* of the
sink.  The drain works just fine!"

His face turned a very cute shade of pink.  "Oh.  I guess it would!"
And with that, he turned and walked away from me down the hall.

What a drip.

;o)

Laura
wolfljsh at insightbb.com