TheBanyanTree: You don't see as many matchboxes around as you used to

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Mon Aug 18 03:43:41 PDT 2003

Sunday August 17, 2003

YOU DON'T SEE AS MANY MATCHBOXES AROUND AS YOU USED TO

Dolly and I sat out watching the rainclouds gather this afternoon.

"I don't think it'll come to much today, Dolly," I said, contemplating the
thin cover. "But we might well get a good soaking tomorrow."

Dolly looked at me somewhat askance. She does that. It's one of her ploys
to make me think she doesn't understand me when I talk to her. It doesn't
work of course. I know full well she gets at least the spirit of what I'm
saying. So far she hasn't responded in yer actual words and that's just as
well, I suppose. I'd have to take myself in for a thorough check of my
marbles if she started talking back to me.

Anyway, leaving aside the benefit of a cat you can talk at, it wasn't long
before the first misty wave of light rain swept across, dampening the
pavement and making the grass think it was holiday time at last. And not
long after that I felt damp enough to want to go back indoors.

"You coming in, Dolly?" I asked.

She gave me that askance look again, this time with don't be silly
overtones, so I left her out there, savouring the smell of first rain on
parched grass and soil and the rapid cooling that comes with it.

Welcome as it is after such a long hot, dry spell, there's a sadness to the
changing weather. I can't help but feel something of a back-to-school
melancholy in the air. I remember long, hot, white-dust summers when I was
a kid, and how they always had to end with rainy days, new trousers and
shoes and strict lectures on how important it was to make them last, clean
and unscuffed. And how pockets were for handkerchiefs and not collections
of pebbles, twigs, and interesting expired insects in empty matchboxes. I
always promised to do better but I was an incurably scruffy boy who never
did do well on the pulled-up socks side of life. Even now, emptying my
pockets is not a venture for the squeamish, though it's a very long time
since I put a dead insect in an empty matchbox for later examination. Or,
indeed, put an empty matchbox in any kind of pocket.

Ah well. The green gold glowing days of summer fade and the evenings are
already shortening. Time to turn back to more creative things than sitting
in the sun talking to cats and wondering why you don't see as many
matchboxes around as you used to.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man