TheBanyanTree: Big Bands

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 07:14:28 PDT 2003

Flying down the freeway towards the mill city.

Laughing at rush hour traffic jams going the other way.

Parking in a hot and stuffy underground ramp.

The energy of the city hits us like a slap on our suburban faces.

Stinky loud buses jam the streets dropping people off and picking people up.

Office people heading home or to happy hours.

Night people begin to crawl into the city.

The late day August sun warms my skin as we walk to the restaurant.

Neither of us is brave enough to try a seafood item like sailfish.  We stick
with salmon sandwiches and chicken.

Ray tries to shoot the squid calamari across the restaurant like a  rubber
band.

It’s time to go.

We meander down Nicollet Mall towards Orchestra Hall.

We hear the gentle splashing of the fountain as we sit outside before the
concert.

We settle into our seats.  And wait for the Big Band sounds to fill our
ears.

Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, and Nat “King” Cole.  Chattanooga
Choo Choo, Let’s Dance, On the Sunny Side of the Street, Unforgettable, and
Begin the Beguine.

Old music for new times.

I saw a young woman in a couple rows in front of me.  Probably 25 or so.  I
loved her tattoos.  Little stars were cascading down from her shoulder to
her elbow.  A beautiful design was at the nape of her neck.  She was dressed
in a pastel strapless blue outfit.  Her bare shoulders rolled in time to the
music.

The Big Band did one encore. In the Mood.  And sent us on our way.

And we collided with the night people.  Some were happily drunk.  Others
were searching for food.  Clusters of Generations Y and X people formed in
the warehouse district.  The town was rocking.

We sleepily found our way home.

We indulged in quick and fast and cool bowls of ice cream.

And went to bed Serenading the Moonlight.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!