TheBanyanTree: August 2003

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Sat Aug 2 23:22:31 PDT 2003

August begins with an auspicious air as crepe myrtles covered with
shocking bright red blooms brighten our days.  The ravages of the
Japanese beetles on them are now just memories from a mere 50 days ago.

Days are sultry but not oppressive; the nights sufficiently cool to
sleep comfortably without air conditioning. Rain visits most afternoons
or, on occasion, in the early evening and lightning fires the skies
with flashes from cloud to cloud, darting in tongues that appear and
disappear so quickly that you find yourself trying to limit blinking
your eyes so as to not miss even one.

Some nights as fireflies blink, dart and dive over fields of hay,
thunder approaches from the distance and brings a wind that scatters
the fireflies.  Lightning appears. So bright is it that it pierces my
closed eyelids.  The thunder becomes a frightful booming and rain
mercilessly beats the hapless enamored fireflies into the ground.

Shoots from the base of the pampas grass have started their ascent and
are soon to swell 'til they burst their ends in a show of plume that
would make all but the most vain of peacocks jealous.

An auspicious beginning for my fiftieth August, one proudly showing
that a month can indeed live up to its namesake.

   bd
   ----