TheBanyanTree: Spring Leaves

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 06:10:03 PDT 2003

Spring Leaves

I rake more leaves in the spring than I do in the fall.  Our oak trees are
reluctant to give up their foliage for winter.  The brown and used up leaves
cling to their branches through wild winds, driving snow, and frigid
temperatures.  I can’t imagine what use these fragile leaves have for the
oaks during winter, but the trees don’t release them until spring.  Then
they fall to the ground in heaps and blow themselves into odd corners and it
’s my job to find them and bag them and haul them off to the compost where
they’ll regenerate again.

I took advantage of this early warm break in our spring weather to rake the
backyard.  I also use leaves to cover my garden beds and so I rounded up
these leaves for the compost, too.  I love removing the leaf blankets and
see what was popping up underneath them.  The green little stubs seem almost
blinded by that first shot of sunlight, but it seems they lose their shock
and welcome being bathed in the light.

15 bags of leaves now line the edge of the driveway waiting to be taken to
the compost.  The front yard and the side flower boxes are scheduled to be
raked today.  It will be in the mid-70s with some spring wind, so I have to
take advantage of this chance.  They’re predicting snow for later this week.
Yes, it’s spring in Minnesota.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!
http://www.skywaybpw.org
Skyway Business and Professional Women
Working women connecting.

http://www.bpwmn.org

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children.
~Native American Proverb