TheBanyanTree: Dealing with the ill (from Monique)

WolfSinger wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Thu Apr 10 11:15:47 PDT 2003

It’s overwhelming sometimes, it’s hard and it’s painful and it’s just
too much and I don’t think I can bear it yet another day, but I have
to, there aren’t any options.

When someone close to me is in pain and they aren’t even sure why, I
feel such pain at my inability to help, and when that someone is my
husband, though separated, and dependent on me for work and income, it
can be overwhelming.

My bills are past due. My creditors are hounding me. Stew can’t work,
except minimally, and that for a client who can’t afford to pay us, but
he has an immense crush on her and will do anything she asks. That in
itself doesn’t bother me, but what I really need is money. His other
client, the computer store, he’s waiting and waiting and waiting for me
to take charge of, to tell him what to do, to lay the groundwork, to
instruct and get him going and keep him moving, and even though I tell
him how to start, where to begin, he keeps waiting for me to do more.
Even his client, the one he’s infatuated with, he needs to be taught
how to do things that he wasn’t doing right, and my time is so severely
limited right now. The rest of the clients and the marketing are my
responsibility – the setups, the weekly service, the taxes, the monthly
and quarterly service, the questions questions questions, those are all
mine, and it’s almost April 15th. When I ask him to research something
for me I’m lucky if he even remembers I asked him, even though I did it
by email. Rarely do I get answers.

And he’s in pain and doesn’t know why, and there’s not much I can do
except offer support and offer support and offer support, and sometimes
my support is tapped out. He gets his disability, he gets money from
his parents, he is supposed to get 30% of what the business brings in –
and I try to make do with what I can. My credit cards are tapped out,
my bank account is empty, and my car payment is due today, and I’ve
only paid 1/3 of it. All I have is myself, and while it’s true he does
help me out by doing personal stuff for me that I don’t have time for
when I’m really busy, it’s sometimes not enough.

My car is a big deal, because without it I can’t work. I travel every
day to see clients, and since they’re scattered around the area north
and to the east of Seattle, a car is really the only way to do it.

So I worry about losing my car, my apartment, my utilities, my phone.
My phone is vital to my work too of course.

And I worry about him, and if he’s going to hurt himself again. He cut
again the other day. His therapist was quite annoyed with him, but I’ve
taken the attitude that, “Aw, geez, dude, that’s too bad you felt you
had to do that – did it help?” And if it helped alleviate the pain,
even a little, I say, “Well, I’m glad it helped anyway,” and it’s no
big deal. After all, people do worse things to themselves all the time
than slice their arm and hand with a razor blade, right?

Mental illness is a pain in the ass. It’s isolating – for both of us.
He feels isolated of course, because no one can understand what he’s
going through and he feels so alone. I feel isolated because, well, I
must be constantly cheerful and upbeat for him at risk of making him
feel really bad if I’m not because he takes things so personally, and I
feel like I’m out here fighting a battle by myself. We separated for
several reasons, all of them still valid, still good reasons. Still
present reasons, and that won’t change. Still I feel an obligation to
help him as much as I can because he is important to me as a friend, if
not a husband.

I’m tired. I’m very tired. He is constantly tired – his regimen of meds
includes anti-psychotics and anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and who
knows what else. A three-month supply of all of them costs, with
insurance, $1200. His meds make him tired and keep him perpetually
sleepy. He manages to get to the gym and work out though, sometimes, I
think perhaps selfishly, at the expense of work. His illness makes him
anxious, sad, and depressed.

I feel like I have a dependent I’m responsible for – a dependent who,
after offered suggestions, will then disregard them entirely and keep
himself down because it’s easier. He is, after all, an adult, and not
subject to anything I suggest. I’m tired, and I have to guard against
falling into depression myself at the enormity of what I’m facing.

Orvis asked me last night if I saw light at the end of the tunnel, and
I said yes, I did. I do see it, though sometimes, like today, I wonder
if I have the strength to get there from here.

Batman