TheBanyanTree: Northern Lights

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 13:09:48 PST 2003

Or, perhaps I should name it "Southern Cross", as I am still in Florida.
They had snow in Minnesota last week, six or seven inches. My blood has grown
too tropical for that. To live in Minnesota in the winter, one needs Johnnie
Walker anti-freeze.

Anyway, here I am; still on the beach, now waiting for the mammouth sea
turtles to get the urge to come ashore to lay their 100 eggs. They do it
every Spring, and if I'm really lucky, snoozing in a hammock beachside on the
right night, I perchance may see giant Mama come ashore.

My daughter, Rose, and I saw such a event two Springs ago, around a yawning
four A.M., a grey tank lumbered ashore, making spraddled tracks on the wet
sand to the dune line. Then, digging with clawed feet, she moved the earth,
and left her precious deposit.  Slowly, methodically, scooping the sand back
over her treasure, she turned and returned to the sea.

For thousands of years they have marched ashore in their lonely treks. Their
numbers dwindle. Man, you know.  Man seems to be at the root of all
"disappearences."

Passenger Doves, Gray Whales, Gorillas, Pandas, Florida Panthers, Manatees,
and perhaps the giant Sea Turtles . . .dwindle and gone.

But, for one more Spring, I'll take a thermos of coffee, a snack, and go up
to the beachside hammock, to wait, to snooze, to keep watch, maybe get lucky
one more time.

nancyLee